Artillery Museum

The Artillery Museum occupies a sprawling estate by the Peter and Paul Fortress near Alexander Park.

The collections include Russian military equipment, uniforms and decorations. The museum is managed by the Russian Ministry of Defense.

A rich collection of military uniforms

The Museum collection of military uniforms and head-dresses is quite impressive. It includes personal belongings of Russian Emperors, Grand Dukes, commanders and military leaders (both of the Russian Army, the Soviet Armed Forces and the Navy), designers of Russian arms. 


Personal belongings of Russia's rulers

Exhibited are things which belonged to Emperors Peter the Great, Peter III, Catherine the Great, Empress Maria Fedorovna, Master General of Ordnance Grand Duke Mikhail Nikolaevich, Field Marshall M.I. Golenishchev-Kutuzov, Marshall of Artillery N.N. Voronov, General-Lieutenant of Engineering-Technical Service V.G. Fedorov and others.

From swords to ballistic missiles

You can also see numerous military objects of the Russian and Soviet armies, ranging from an ancient sword and arquebuses (firearms) of the 13th century to modern ballistic missiles.

Lenin's Armored Car at the Artillery Museum:



The bronze cannon from 1491

A unique exhibit in the museum is the bronze cannon, cast by Yakov in 1491. It is the earliest example of cannon foundry work that has been preserved. Nearby is another interesting weapon — an early howitzer. Its barrel is richly ornamented and attests to the high technical level and artistic taste of the Russian master-founders. Of particular interest is a rare collection of weapons mady by the famous master-founder, Andrei Chokhov. These include the large siege arquebus In-rog, which was cast in 1577 at the Moscow cannon foundry where Andrei Chokhov worked for more than 60 years. Chokhov’s tremendous service to the development of his country’s artillery consists in the fact that he educated a whole generation of Russian cannon-founders. Here on display is a large bronze mortar, cast by one of Chokhov’s pupils. It was first located in the arsenal at Kiev and later sent to Moscow. Peter the Great examined it in 1703 and ordered it to be preserved for posterity and the mortar bears an inscription to this effect on its barrel. It is a remarkable monument to the artistry of the early 17th-century cannon-founders. There is a considerable amount of weaponry and ammunition on display which relates to the period of the Northern War (1700-1721). For their time these armaments were of high tactical and technical standards. There are also firearms and side-arms belonging to the Russian army as well as a three-pound (76 mm) cannon made in Tula in commemoration of the victory at the Battle of Poltava.

Saint Petersburg (Russian: Санкт-Петербург) is the second largest city in Russia. It is located on the Neva River at the head of the Gulf of Finland on the Baltic Sea. St Petersburg is often described as the most westernized city of Russia, as well as its cultural capital.It is the northernmost city in the world with a population of over one million.

Population: 5 197 114 (2015)
Founded : 1703
Time zone : UTC+4
Federal District : Northwest
Area code : (00 7) 812
Postal code : 190000-199406
Former name : Petrograd (1914-1924)
Former name : Leningrad (1924-1991)