Chaliapin Museum

Chaliapin MuseumThe Chaliapin Museum is located at Perm Street, 2b.

The name of the great Russian singer Fyodor Chaliapin (1873-1938) is inseparably linked with the history of Russian art at the turn of the 20th century. He is justly considered to be a reformer of the opera, who has enriched both Russian and world stage.

Chaliapin’s career is closely connected with St. Petersburg. The singer came here in 1895 as a nameless young man from the provinces. After his first performances he became a member of the troupe of the famous Mariinsky Opera House, and at the same time, in 1899, a soloist of the Bolshoi Theater in Moscow.

In 1914 St. Petersburg became Chaliapin’s permanent home. The singer settled on Perm Street in a little three-level house decorated with pilasters bearing elaborate capitals. Two more floors were subsequently built onto the house.

After Chaliapin went abroad in 1922, one of his friends moved into his house and carefully kept the singer’s archives, his personal effects, and his letters.

Of particular interest are the images of Chaliapin in life and on stage created by such outstanding artists as A.Golovin, K.Korovin, A.Yakovlev. The Museum also possesses the famous portrait by B.Kustodiev (1921) which is actually the singers biography, the saga of his triumphant way from fair shows to the best world opera stages. Chaliapin loved the portrait and took it abroad with him. In 1968 his daughters Marfa and Marina sent this brilliant masterpiece as a gift to the museum.

 

Saint Petersburg (Russian: Санкт-Петербург) is the second largest city in Russia. It is located on the Neva River at the head of the Gulf of Finland on the Baltic Sea. St Petersburg is often described as the most westernized city of Russia, as well as its cultural capital.It is the northernmost city in the world with a population of over one million.

Population: 5 197 114 (2015)
Founded : 1703
Time zone : UTC+4
Federal District : Northwest
Area code : (00 7) 812
Postal code : 190000-199406
Former name : Petrograd (1914-1924)
Former name : Leningrad (1924-1991)