Pavlovsk Park

The first stage in the layout and ornament of Pavlovsk Park dates back to the 1780s. It is associated with the name of Charles Cameron who designed the composition of the three main sections of the park, the area by the Palace, the Great Star and the Slavyanka Valley. Together with the artist Francois Violiet, Cameron planned the Aviary and the Private Garden. He also built the classical pavilions of the Temple of Friendship and the Apollo Colonnade, erected bridges over the River Slavyanka and laid some narrow paths and the Triple Lime Avenue, the main drive up to the palace.

In the 1790s Brenna was in charge of work on the park. He designed the areas of the Old and New Silvia and the Great Circles with terraces, built the Grand Stone Staircase, landscaped the Slavyanka Valley from Visconti Bridge to the Peel Tower Bridge by including both banks in the composition of the Green and Stone amphitheaters.

The third and most important stage in the laying out of the park was the first quarter of the nineteenth century. During this period the artist and decorator Pietro Gonzago took charge of landscaping the park. It was then that the huge expanses of the White Birch, and the Paradnoye Field areas appeared and Ponds Valley which fitted into the Great Star section very well. At the same time Andrei Voronikhin and Carlo Rossi added bridges and summer houses.

The grounds of the Pavlosky are very extensive, beautifully laid out and wooded, and with numerous walks, tastefully disposed. The flower-beds, however, appear to be singularly arranged, each species having a parterre to itself. For instance, there was a large bed of carnations, another of tulips, a third of mignonettes, and so forth, in succession, throughout its whole Flora.

Travels through Russia, James Holman, 1834

Thus, Pavlovsk Park had seven main sections, seven poetic images of the North Russian countryside. Each section has a character of its own. The forest paths of the Great Star run straight as an arrow down to the River Slavyanka, whose hilly banks border on the Palace section which is very formal in its layout. The narrow avenues of Old Silvia adorned with bronze sculptures border on the dense forest of New Silvia. And the imposing compositions of the Paradnoye Field contrast with the sweeping forests and fields of the White Birch section.

In the park we admire the tower of the Grand Duke, the Chinese park, the miniatureture fleet with all vessels of the known world, the Dutch stables , Turkish kiosks, the Ionic colonnade, a marble bridge with columns and statues, artificial ruins, monuments to the memory of Alexander friends, pyramids, caves, waterfalls, etc.. etc..

Saint-Petersbourg, avec un supplément: Guide pratique, Fred Roessler

The skill of the park’s designers is seen, first and foremost, in its overall unity. For all the diversity of planning, they created an extremely artistic ensemble, the specific features of each section blend in with the whole. The natural beauty of the countryside is skillfully combined with elegant buildings in Russian classical style and magnificent marble, bronze and wrought-iron sculpture. The seventeen pavilions, twelve bridges over the River Slavyanka and twenty-two artificial ponds grouped into three systems all make Pavlovsk Park one of the most perfect poetic creations of the late 18th and early 19th centuries.

Saint Petersburg (Russian: Санкт-Петербург) is the second largest city in Russia. It is located on the Neva River at the head of the Gulf of Finland on the Baltic Sea. St Petersburg is often described as the most westernized city of Russia, as well as its cultural capital.It is the northernmost city in the world with a population of over one million.

Population: 5 197 114 (2015)
Founded : 1703
Time zone : UTC+4
Federal District : Northwest
Area code : (00 7) 812
Postal code : 190000-199406
Former name : Petrograd (1914-1924)
Former name : Leningrad (1924-1991)