Pavlovsk - Temple of Friendship

The name of the Temple of Friendship pavilion in Pavlovsk originates from the sentimentalists who were the dominant school in literature in the late 18th century. Many of the pavilions on the estates of the Russian nobility bore such names as “Pavilion of Tears” and “Temple of Unrequited Love”, etc. which showed the influence of the sentimentalists. The pavilion is round in shape and surrounded with a Doric colonnade. Between the columns there are moulded bas-reliefs which enliven the inner blind wall. Under the cornice there is a moulded frieze of garlands and dolphins (the dolphin was a symbol of friendship). On top of the pavilion is a flat cupola, the centre of which is glass.

The whole structure harmonises beautifully with its surroundings. The columns are reflected in the clear gentle waters of the Slavyanka and the trees here are planted not to conceal the pavilion but rather to emphasise its connection with the surrounding landscape.


Saint Petersburg (Russian: Санкт-Петербург) is the second largest city in Russia. It is located on the Neva River at the head of the Gulf of Finland on the Baltic Sea. St Petersburg is often described as the most westernized city of Russia, as well as its cultural capital.It is the northernmost city in the world with a population of over one million.

Population: 5 197 114 (2015)
Founded : 1703
Time zone : UTC+4
Federal District : Northwest
Area code : (00 7) 812
Postal code : 190000-199406
Former name : Petrograd (1914-1924)
Former name : Leningrad (1924-1991)