The Ligovsky Prospekt (Лиговский проспект) is one of the largest streets in the city of St. Petersburg. It extends from Oktyabrskiy Big Concert Hall, Uprising Square and Nevsky Prospekt, and runs through southern Saint Petersburg, onto Moskovsky Prospekt and the Moscow Triumphal Gate.
Ligovskiy was laid out on the site of the old Novgorod road that linked the settlements in the delta of the Neva with Novgorod. In the early years of St. Petersburg the Novgorod path was actually the only throughway in the city. The track was very difficult, as it passed via marshy and swampy places.
Over time and with introduction of a new system of roads the importance of the Novgorod road diminished. In 1718 - 1725 years a twenty-three kilometer long Ligovsky channel (necessary to feed the water fountains in the Summer Garden) was dug from the Ligovka River. However, the Ligovsky channel was never used for the intended purpose and instead was primarily used as a storage of drinking water. The water quality was monitored by the military - a few booths were put up along the channel where soldiers were on duty.