Currency Bank

The Currency Bank in Sadovaya Street not far from Nevsky Avenue was designed by Giacomo Quarenghi and is an example of his large public buildings along with the Academy of Sciences.

Although the façade of the bank has a great deal in common with that of the Academy, in composition the two buildings are quite different. The Bank is set back from the street, behind a front court which one enters through a stone gate in a cast-iron grille. The three-story building is not very large, but looks tall and stately in comparison to the squat, heavy store-houses surrounding it in a semi-circle. A six-column Corinthian portico adorns the central part of the main façade above the rustic ground-floor arcade. The pediment is ornamented with statuary. While emphasizing the central part, Quarenghi left the rest of the façade quite plain, except for the rustic facing of the ground floor and the modest platbands round the second-story windows. Still, the contrast with the surrounding store-houses is evident, and is very much to the advantage of the main building.

In 1967, when it was 150 years since Quarenghi died, his bronze bust was set up on a tall pediment before the main façade of the Currency Bank.

Saint Petersburg (Russian: Санкт-Петербург) is the second largest city in Russia. It is located on the Neva River at the head of the Gulf of Finland on the Baltic Sea. St Petersburg is often described as the most westernized city of Russia, as well as its cultural capital.It is the northernmost city in the world with a population of over one million.

Population: 5 197 114 (2015)
Founded : 1703
Time zone : UTC+4
Federal District : Northwest
Area code : (00 7) 812
Postal code : 190000-199406
Former name : Petrograd (1914-1924)
Former name : Leningrad (1924-1991)