Follenveder Building on Stone Island (Kamenny Ostrov)

Stone Island (Kamenny Ostrov) history goes back to the reign of Peter the Great – first buildings appeared here in the early 18th century. Having ascended to the throne, Catherine the Great gave the whole island to her son, the future Emperor Paul I. From that time on and until 1912 the Stone Island was owned by the Imperial family.

Active construction began in the second half of 18th century: alleys, parks, canals, and gardens appeared on the island. By late 19th century, private individuals were allowed to rent plots of land on Kamenny Island for the period of 90 years, while the townspeople were allowed to walk along the alleys of the park. 

In 1903, a Swiss citizen E. Follenveder rented a plot of land on the Kamenny Island. He commissioned Roman Melzer, a popular architect of the early 20th century specializing in the Art Nouveau style, to build him a house. It was a challenging task for the architect as the terrain was uneven yet he managed to find a perfect solution. The building’ shape flows with the terrain, and rooms located on the same floor are actually on different levels. The looks like a fairytale castle, mostly due to the fact that the building is topped by a tower with a high tiled roof and narrow high windows.

Currently, this mansion houses the Consulate of Denmark.

Saint Petersburg (Russian: Санкт-Петербург) is the second largest city in Russia. It is located on the Neva River at the head of the Gulf of Finland on the Baltic Sea. St Petersburg is often described as the most westernized city of Russia, as well as its cultural capital.It is the northernmost city in the world with a population of over one million.

Population: 5 197 114 (2015)
Founded : 1703
Time zone : UTC+4
Federal District : Northwest
Area code : (00 7) 812
Postal code : 190000-199406
Former name : Petrograd (1914-1924)
Former name : Leningrad (1924-1991)