The Marble Palace is one of the first Neoclassical palaces in St. Petersburg. It is located in the northwest corner of the Suvorov Square near the Fields of Mars. Designed by Antonio Rinaldi, it was completed between 1768 and 1785.
It was intended for the eminent nobleman of the 18th century, the favorite of Catherine the Great, Grigory Orlov. The building is regarded as a monument of architecture signifying the transition from Baroque to Classicism.
The palace facades are relatively modest and laconic in design: the walls are faced with gray granite, the first and second floors are decorated with Corinthian pilasters hewn from pale pink marble. The décor of the main façade, overlooking the forecourt, is largely executed in the Baroque style.
An elegant fence surrounds the forecourt. On the eastern side of the court stands a building constructed in the 1780’s and rebuilt in the 1840’s by Alexander Bryullov. Its western façade is decorated with a frieze by Pyotr Klodt.
A view of the Marble Palace from Peter and Paul Fortress by Benjamin Paterssen, 1800, watercolors: