Small Hall of Petersburg Philharmonia
On the north side of the Kazan Cathedral, on the corner of Nevsky Avenue and the canal is a four story building, which houses the Small Hall of Petersburg Philharmonia. This house was built by Rastrelli in the 1740s for the commandant of the Kronstadt port, Nikolai Villebois. In 1829 the architect Paul Jacot added another story and completely changed the façade. Vasily Engelgardt became the owner of the rebuilt mansion. Yet already in 1802 a Philharmonic Hall was opened here, which became famous for its concerts, balls and masquerades. This tradition was continued by the new owner. The composers Berlioz, Liszt, Johann Strauss, Wagner and other performed here.