The Stackenschneider Mansion was the first St. Petersburg building to combine both residential and office functions. The section of the building facing the Millionnaya Street was designed to be used as an architectural workshop, and the façade there was reminiscent of the Italian Renaissance of the first quarter of the XVI century. It was decorated with soaring Muses and other attributes of the “three noble arts”, which was a reflection on the profession of the owner (Stackenschneider was a professor at the Academy of Arts).
Stackenschneider lived here with his wife and six children; he had four sons and two daughters. The architect's wife, Maria Feodorovna, opened a "Literary Salon", held on Saturdays from 1854 to 1862. The Saturdays was frequented by famous writers, artists, architects and public figures: Ivan Aivazovsky, Alexander Bryullov, Ivan Goncharov, Fyodor. Dostoyevsky, Ivan Turgenev, and others.