Stroganov Palace is a Late Baroque palace at the intersection of the Moika River and Nevsky Prospect in St. Petersburg, Russia. This is an outstanding work by the architect Barolomeo Rastrelli. Moulded decoration covers most of the central part of the building. The arch over the gateway is embellished with double columns supporting the elaborate pediment on which the Stroganov’s coat of arms is depicted. On the coat of arms are two sables standing on hind legs and holding in their forepaws a shield divided into two parts: on the lower part fur is depicted; on the upper part, the head of a bear. Above the shield is a helmet and another bear’s head.
One of the few individual dwelling- houses which linger on the Nevsky Prospekt, and which presents us with a fine specimen of the rococo style which Rastrelli so persistently served up at the close of the eighteenth century, is that of the Counts Stroganoff, at the lower quay of the Moika...The stately pile, and the pompous air of the big, gold-laced Swiss lounging at the entrance on the Nevsky, remind us that the Stroganoff family has been a power in Russian history since the middle of the sixteenth century.
Scribner's Magazine, 1892
The coat of arms may be interpreted as follows: the bear is the master of the taiga, sable is the most prized fur. The fact that they are depicted on the coat of arms speaks of the unlimited power of the Stroganovs in Siberia, where they owned vast lands, and of the countless riches of that region. The window casings on the first floor above the archway are distinguished by bas-reliefs of atlantes, other windows on this floor are framed with less luxurious decoration, each of them embellished with a lion mask and a medallion with a male profile.
The Counts Serge and Paul Stroganoff, who are both distinguished connoisseurs and lovers of art, possess pictures which would be considered valuable acquisitions in any public gallery. The collection of Count Serge, which is in the Stroganoff House, a fine building by Rastrelli, at the Police Bridge, opposite the " Society for the Encouragement of Art," contains amongst other treasures an admirable head by Leonardo da Vinci, a sketch by Correggio, 2 excellent portraits by Tintoretto, 4 Rubens, 2 capital portraits by Van Dyck, a beautiful and highly finished cabinet picture by Rembrandt, as well as excellent specimens of Teniers, Cuyp, Adrian Vandevelde, Hackert, and Van der Heyden.
John Murray, 1892
The architectural appearance of the palace has been distorted somewhat with time due to the fact that the windows of the ground floor have been made one third smaller. This was done because the level of Nevsky Avenue was raised and the stone embankment of the River Moika was constructed.
This palace is in the style of that of Doria at Rome, or Durazzo at Genoa, and is well worth seeing. It contains a fine picture- gallery, in which are several chefs-d'oeuvre.
Visit to the court of Russia, Charles Frankland, 1830
At the end of the 18th century a number of interiors of the palace and the wings around the courtyard were subjected to alterations under the supervision of Andrei Voronikhin.
Among the homes of nobles, hardly inferior in magnificence to the imperial residences, those which do more honor to Rastrelli are Anichkov Palace, built on the corner of Nevsky Prospekt and the Fontanka canal for a lover of the empress; the Vorontsov Palace, slathered in red today as the Winter Palace, but was originally painted in two shades; and especially the magnificent Stroganov Palace, at the corner of Nevsky Prospect and the Moika Canal. It is regrettable that it has been slathered into a uniform coating of a dark red color while the original was in two shades: white and light orange. But beautifully proportioned columns, rich without being heavy decoration makes this palace equal of the finest "baroque" palaces in Prague and Vienna.
Russian Art from Peter the Great to our days, Louis Réau, 1922