Barracks of the Cavalry Guard Regiment
The barracks of the Cavalry Guard Regiment were constructed in 1803-1806 to the design of Luigi Rusca. The Cavalry Guards initially served as the Emperor’s body guards. However, the Cavalry Guards Regiment formed in 1800 was an ordinary household unit commanded by the emperor or the empress.
The façade of the barracks is decorated with a sturdy eight-column portico mounted on the arcade of the ground floor. In keeping with the building’s purpose, the wings of the portico bear statues of Mars and Bellona, the god and goddess of war in ancient Roman mythology.