The Benois House is a historical landmark building complex on the Petrograd side in St Petersburg constructed in 1911-1912 to the design of Leontiy Benois. It was commissioned by the First Russian Insurance Company. The competition announcement stipulated the highest standards of comfort and hygiene. The apartments were to range in size from four rooms to twelve, with the majority between six and eight rooms; each was to have basic services (a kitchen, a pantry, a minimum of two water closets, a bathroom). In addition, the competition required living areas for servants, a garage area, and a laundry
A group headed by Yuliy and Leontiy Benois submitted the winning entry, an imposing but conservative design that is the antithesis of decadence, or the style moderne. The Benois design centered on a large courtyard, open to the street (as required by the competition) and entered through a one-storied colonnade.
The soft plasticity of the façades faced with light gray stone imported from Sweden is emphasized by elegant decorative details, short colonnade and sculptures.
The building complex had its own power station, laundry, boiler room, and a snow melter.