Karl Bryullov House

This residential house was owned by the famous St. Petersburg architect Karl Bryullov (since the mid -1840s to late 19th century). Bryullov rebuilt the original house, but left the facade unchanged. The main façade is decorated with four Corinthian pilasters and a pediment characteristic of the late classicism architecture. The house is richly decorated with sculptural adornments - bas-relief panels and masks on windows.

In the interior decoration the architect implemented motifs of ancient Roman architecture. The Grand Staircase is lined with artificial marble. The mosaic floors are made of multi-colored marbles. Mahogany doors lead to a large hall, the Pompeii Room. The walls are lined with black and white artificial marble.

Despite later alterations, and partial loss of artistic decorations, the building retains its historical significance as a fine specimen of Petersburg architecture of the late XVIII - early XIX centuries.

Saint Petersburg (Russian: Санкт-Петербург) is the second largest city in Russia. It is located on the Neva River at the head of the Gulf of Finland on the Baltic Sea. St Petersburg is often described as the most westernized city of Russia, as well as its cultural capital.It is the northernmost city in the world with a population of over one million.

Population: 5 197 114 (2015)
Founded : 1703
Time zone : UTC+4
Federal District : Northwest
Area code : (00 7) 812
Postal code : 190000-199406
Former name : Petrograd (1914-1924)
Former name : Leningrad (1924-1991)