Chaev Art Nouveau Building
The Chaev House at 9 Rentgen Street designed by Vladimir Apyshkov for the financier Sergei Chaev (1906–1907) is a historical Art Nouveau landmark building in the city of Saint Petersburg. S. N. Chaev was a prominent engineer and a successful businessman, now mostly remembered for his contribution to the Trans-Siberian Railroad. Commissioning the house, Chaev asked for some rather eccentric (at that time) features – for example, he wished for the kitchen to be located on the third floor (the usual place for kitchen was basement or ground floor); but mostly he appreciated natural light, and his single most important desire was not to have any dark or even semi-dark corridors. The architect accommodated this wish by creating an atrium - a circular hall extending from the first floor through the third to illuminate the central area of the house. All rooms communicated in one way or another with this hall, which had galleries on the two upper floor.
The interplay of rectangular and cylindrical parts is one of the most striking features of his building. This dynamic flow of space is considered by many art historians to be the harbinger of the forthcoming avant-garde style of the 1920s.
The original project also envisaged a glass cupola but that part of the building was never built.