At the end of the 19th century, the architect Carl Schmidt constructed the building for the firm of Carl Fabergé – a renowned Russian jeweler celebrated for his famous Easter eggs -at 24 Bolshaya Morskaya Street, just off Nevsky Avenue. The Fabergé building reminds one of the pseudo-Gothic elements in the styling of the gables and use of plate-glass windows. The façade is made of polished red Gangut granite, while the upper floors feature smooth blocks of gray granite.
Carl Faberge, the owner, used the building both as a private residence and for commercial purposes: the upper floors were for living, while the ground floor housed a shop.
Carl Faberge came from a French Huguenot family who took refuge in Russia and then moved on to Germany. Carl went to study art in Dresden, but upon earning his degree decided to return to Russia to take over his father's shop. In a couple of decades, his dazzling creations won many a heart of Russian and foreign roalty, aristocracy, and other wealthy clients. Among his celebrated masterpieces are jewelry, binoculars, parasol handles, vases, fans, clocks, frames, furniture, crosses, figures of animals, people, and plants.
In 1916, the House of Fabergé became a joint-stock company with a capital of 3-million rubles. Following the October revolution of 1917, the company was nationalized, and Carl Faberge left Russia for Switzerland.