Gagarina Mansion (House of Composers)
The Gagarina Mansion (House of Composers) is a historical landmark building in St. Petersburg at 45 Bolshaya Morskaya Street, not far from the Nevsky Prospect Metro Station.
The architect Auguste Montferrand (of the St. Isaac’s Cathedral fame) purchased the building in 1834 and decided to completely rebuild it as well as change the interior design. His renovation project was already submitted to and approved by the Council of Town Planning, when in 1836 he suddenly changed his mind and old the house to Pavel Nikolaevich Demidov. However, the new owner was very much interested in rebuilding the house and commissioned the architect to go on with his renovation project. The house was fully finished in 1840. It was now a beautiful mansion of an asymmetrical composition, somewhat unusual yet very elegant.
In 1873 Pavel Pavlovich Demidov (son of Pavel Nikolaevich) sold the mansion to Princess Vera Gagarina, who owned it until 1918, and the house became known as the Gagarina Mansion, both in official documents and colloquially.
To the present day this architectural masterpiece has kept a hint of Italian Renaissance, which was so favored by the famous architect.
Currently, the House ofComposers is located here.
life and work of the poet: 1880-1904 – the period of symbolism and abstract romanticism; 1905-1907 – the emergence of social themes and life-asserting motifs reflecting the sympathetic attitude of Blok to the revolutionary movement, and 1908-1916 – the period of the poet’s increasing recognition of his personal involvement in the fate of Russia.