Moscow Triumphal Gate
The Moscow Triumphal Gate rises in the center of Moscow Gate Square. The Gate was built in 1834-1838 by the architect Vasily Stasov to commemorate the Russian victory in the Russo-Turkish War of 1828-1829.
At that time, the Moscow Gate was the largest prefabricated cast-iron structure in the world. Following the design of the architect, the sculptor Boris Orlovsky decorated the gate with depictions of military trophies and winged genii, Plenty, Glory, and Victory. In 1941, the iron blocks of the gate were used as anti-tank obstacles on the southern reaches to Leningrad. In 1958-1960, the gates were restored, after the missing parts were cast at the Kirov Factory.