Peter the Great’s summer cottage
Peter the Great’s summer cottage on the quiet Peter’s Embankment (Petrovskaya Naberezhnaya) is the only building to survive to our time from the earliest years of city’s existence. The cottage was built in three days at the end of May 1703. It is a small (approx. 12 m long, 5.5 m wide and some 2.5 m high) single-level wooden structure which did not originally have a stone foundation, not were there stoves or flues in it. Peter the Great lived here only in the summer.
The cottage was built of rough-finished pine logs painted to look like bricks (this type of decoration was frequently employed when construction of the city began in order to give the hastily erected wooden buildings the look of brick structures). It has seven windows, is roofed with little boards to look like tiles, plain furniture graced the rooms and all sorts of tools hung on the walls. Peter the Great mastered 14 skills professionally.
After the Summer Palace in the Summer Garden was built, Peter moved there, but the cottage was preserved as a historical sight in St. Petersburg. It has been a museum since 1930.