Polezhaev Eclectic Art Nouveau Building
The Polezhaev Mansion at 3/5 Starorusskaya Street is a historical Art Nouveau landmark building in St. Petersburg built in 1913-195 by Ivan Yakovlev for M. N. Polezhaev, a well-known bread merchant of the first guild.
It is a vivid specimen of the so-called eclectic branch of the Art Nouveau style so popular in Saint Petersburg at that time – an odd yet visually appealing mixture of Gothic, medieval and Russian architectural elements.
This is one of the first rental apartment buildings (along with the Benois apartment building) in the city to have its own infrastructure (boiler room, laundry, etc..). Structurally, the complex consists of several six-floor buildings connected internally by a sophisticated pattern of courtyards and archways. It was primarily intended for well-to-do renters: most apartments were huge (few hundred meters!).