The Headquarters of the Singer Sewing Machine Company at the corner of Nevsky Avenue and Griboyedov Canal and across from Kazan Cathedral is an architectural art-nouveau (a.ka. moderne) landmark building in St. Petersburg built in 1902-1904 to the design of Pavel Siuzor. Due to the architectural code which limited the height of buildings on Nevsky to the height of the Winter Palace (eleven sazhens, or 23.4 meters tall), the architect could not fulfill the original request to design a skyscraper similar to the company’s flagship building in Manhattan; nevertheless, when completed, it became the tallest commercial building in the city at that time owing to the clever trick of evading the height limitation requirements by way of adding a metal-ribbed glass cupola atop which two bronze females support a globe with the Singer logo in the Russian alphabet towering over the Nevsky Avenue.
The first two floors feature blocks of polished red granite while the upper floors make use of lighter, gray, granite. The plate-glass windows, divided by two mullions, reach from floor to ceiling; within the glass shafts the base of each floor is marked by a spandrel and a bronze balcony rail with art nouveau tracery.
Six nude helmeted females - some carrying spears (by the sculptor Amandus Heinrich Adamson) and some carrying spindles (symbols of the building affiliation) - rise like ship's figureheads from under the arches of the three main window shafts. The focus of the Singer building is its corner, which originally displayed, in addition to the Beaux-Arts statuary, a large bronze American eagle with a shield, by Artur Ober, above the arch of the window shaft.