Tolstoy Apartment Building
The Tolstoy apartment house on the Fontanka Embankment was built in 1910-1912 to the design of Fyodor Lidval for Major-General Count Mikhail Pavlovich Tolstoy, nephew of the 1812 war hero P. A. Tolstoy. The façade has a few understated motifs from the neoclassical and baroque styles, but the building's form represents a rationalist development of the style moderne. Some art historians refer to his style as “Northern Modern”.
Its dominant feature is the three-storied arch framing the entrance to the courtyards that lead to a street on the opposite side of the structure. The heroic entrance—unusual in Petersburg buildings—created a dynamic relation between the building and the streets on either side of it; the arches, with their flanking pilasters and obelisks, suggest the grandeur of Roman classicism.
In the central courtyard there was a Roman-style fountain designed and built by Lidval. This fountain was in place until the 1950s but was completely lost by the 1990s.