Peterhof - Avenue of Fountains
Along the Marine Canal Peter the Great had trellises built with recesses in which it was proposed to build twenty-two fountains with sculptures based on Aesop’s fables. The didactic message of the fables could easily be connected with the events in the Northern War.
In 1723 The Two Snakes, the Mountain that Gave Birth to a Mouse, the Hen and the Kite, and The Snake that Bit and Anvil appeared in semicircular recesses. Each fountain had a notice explaining the meaning of the sculpture. The following year, however, Peter the Great decided to construct the remaining fountains in the shape of vases with shallow bowls. With time the vases fell into disrepair, and in 1854-1860 they were removed, together with the sculptures of the Aesopian fountains. Craftsmen of the Peterhof Lapidary Works faced the fourteen south fountains on the either side of the Marine Canal with Carrara marble. Only the intricate shapes of the eight stone pools new the sluice recall the earlier Baroque fountains.
The powerful jets from each of the basins form an unusual colonnade that leads up to the main cascade of Peterhof.