Preobrazhensky Church

The present five-domed Neoclassical structure of the Preobrazhensky Church was designed by Stasov in the late 1820s and replaced the original Preobrazhensy Church from the mid 18th century.

The Preobrashensky Church belongs to one of the oldest regiments of guards, founded by Peter the Great, the tenth legion of the Russian Caesars. This church, the " Spass-Preobrashenskoi-Sabor," is one of the most considerable of the city, and more than any other adorned, both without and within, with trophies from conquered nations. The railing that surrounds the churchyard is formed of Turkish and French cannon. Every three of those three hundred cannon, one large and two smaller, mounted on a granite pedestal, with their mouths pointed downwards, form a column. Around the cannon, chains of different thicknesses, gracefully twined, are hung like garlands between the columns; on the summit of each is enthroned a Russian double eagle of iron, with expanded wings. Within, the church is adorned with flags and halberds; the pillars look like palm-trees, of which every leaf is a lance. Here also travellers are shown a production of Russian inventive talent, the work of a common peasant. It is a large, splendid piece of clock-work, made by him in his native village, bought for twenty thousand rubles by his lord, and presented to the church. The works are said to be so good as to have stood in no need of repair during the six years the clock has been in the church.

Panorama of St. Petersburg, J. Kohl, 1840

Preobrazhensky Church in the XIX century, drawing by Beggrov:

 

Two of the regiments, the Preobrajenski and the Semenovski, are the oldest in the army. They are recruited from men of the same type; the Preobrajenski has tall blondes, and the Semenovski are brunettes with blue eyes. The Paulovski Grenadiers, named for Emperor Paul, have long mustaches and wear tall grenadier hats. The Chevalier Guard is the crack regiment of the Guard, and dates back to Peter the Great's time. The Preobrajenski regiment, No. I of the Guard, is named for Peter the Great's native town and was created by him.

The boy's book of famous regiments, Harry Hitchcock

Saint Petersburg (Russian: Санкт-Петербург) is the second largest city in Russia. It is located on the Neva River at the head of the Gulf of Finland on the Baltic Sea. St Petersburg is often described as the most westernized city of Russia, as well as its cultural capital.It is the northernmost city in the world with a population of over one million.

Population: 5 197 114 (2015)
Founded : 1703
Time zone : UTC+4
Federal District : Northwest
Area code : (00 7) 812
Postal code : 190000-199406
Former name : Petrograd (1914-1924)
Former name : Leningrad (1924-1991)