Catholic Monastery of Saint Anthony the Miracle Worker in St. Petersburg

The Catholic Monastery of Saint Anthony the Miracle Worker  in St. Petersburg was founded in June 1996, when the monastic community purchased a dilapidated building on 9th Krasnoarmejsky Street ( built the 90-ies of the XIX century), which in Soviet times housed an industrial building manufacturing parts for lighting fixtures.

Despite the fact that the building did not have electricity, water or heating, six Franciscan brothers - two priests - Lech Bahanek and Irenaeus Mikos, and four students of the Catholic Major Seminary "Mary Queen of the Apostles." moved in in August of the same year.

On January 28, 1997 the monastery held the first service in honor of Saint Anthony of Padua. Since then, a special worship service to St. Anthony is performed every Tuesday. 

The brothers lived in the dilapidated factory premises until 2001, when construction of the new buildings of the monastery (to the design of the Italian architect Leonardo Brudzhiotti) started, and completed in 2008.

On September 13, 2008, during a pilgrimage to the relics of St. Anthony of Russia, the Apostolic Nuncio in Russia Archbishop Antonio Mennini performed the ceremony of blessing the new monastery church.

Saint Petersburg (Russian: Санкт-Петербург) is the second largest city in Russia. It is located on the Neva River at the head of the Gulf of Finland on the Baltic Sea. St Petersburg is often described as the most westernized city of Russia, as well as its cultural capital.It is the northernmost city in the world with a population of over one million.

Population: 5 197 114 (2015)
Founded : 1703
Time zone : UTC+4
Federal District : Northwest
Area code : (00 7) 812
Postal code : 190000-199406
Former name : Petrograd (1914-1924)
Former name : Leningrad (1924-1991)