Church of the Icon “Joy of Those Who Sorrow”

The Church of the Icon “Joy of Those Who Sorrow” (Russian: Храм иконы Божией Матери «Всех Скорбящих Радость») on Shpalernaya Street in St. Petersburg is not immediately noticeable among the many buildings crowding the popular street. It is only when you take notice of the gilded cross on the dome that you can guess that this is a church and not a mansion of some aristocrat of the XIX century, built in the spirit of classicism.

Once the street was called simply Beregovaya (Coastline Street) and ran along the left bank of the Neva; when the Smolny Cathedral of the Resurrection was built, it became known as the Resurrection Street because it led straight to the church. It was only later that the street received its current name – Shpalernaya (Tapestry).

The church was built to the design of the architect Luigi Rusca. He came from Italy and entered the service as a master stone cases in the imperial court. By the time Rusca was commissioned to build this church, he had lived in Russia for almost 30 years, and wanted to go back to his homelandEmperor Alexander did not immediately accept resignation of the architect - but finally in 1818, when the church was consecrated, the Emperor let the architect go. Luigi Rusca took his wife and his son and left Russia, leaving the interiors of the church unfinished. That part was completed by L. Charlemagne.

Saint Petersburg (Russian: Санкт-Петербург) is the second largest city in Russia. It is located on the Neva River at the head of the Gulf of Finland on the Baltic Sea. St Petersburg is often described as the most westernized city of Russia, as well as its cultural capital.It is the northernmost city in the world with a population of over one million.

Population: 5 197 114 (2015)
Founded : 1703
Time zone : UTC+4
Federal District : Northwest
Area code : (00 7) 812
Postal code : 190000-199406
Former name : Petrograd (1914-1924)
Former name : Leningrad (1924-1991)