Convent of St. John of Rila
The Convent of St. John of Rila (Иоанновский ставропигиальный женский монастырь) is the largest convent in St. Petersburg, Russia and the only stauropegic monastery in the region. It was established on the bank of the Karpovka River by Saint John of Kronstadt (1900) as a branch of the Sura Monastery of St. John the Baptist. Its skyline is a striking example of neo-Byzantine style with an abundance of fractional parts on the facade.
The dominant role in the monastery ensemble belongs to the Cathedral of the Twelve Apostles on the Karpovki Embankment. The interior of the cathedral includes a carved oak iconostasis, marble altars and reliquaries containing the relics of St. Sergius of Radonezh and Alexander Svirsky and gifts from the Holy Land: particles Mamre oak, stones from Calvary, Jordan water. The Lower Temple, consecrated in honor of St. John of Rila, became the burial place for the relics of canonized Father John of Kronstadt.