Finnish Protestant St. Mary Church
The Finnish Church of St. Mary (Church of Ingria) in Saint Petersburg was founded in 1733 when Empress Anna Ioanovna ordered to build a house of worship at the site that belonged to the Swedish-Finnish community. This is the largest Lutheran (Evangelical Lutheran) Church in St. Petersburg.
History of the Church
The first parishioners were Finnish and Swedish merchants and craftsmen who lived in the area.At the beginning of the XIX century, the architect H. Paulsen (an in-law and a disciple of the outstanding architect Yuri Velten) built a stone church of St. Mary. The architect envisioned it to be a comfortable and elegant parish church in the center of the bustling metropolis. The new church was consecrated on December 24, 1805. The church is classically austere and restrained. The main facade of the temple is decorated with a portico with four columns of the Tuscan order, which in turn is topped by a triangular pediment. Arched windows adorn the ground floor.For a long time the Finnish Church of St. Mary was a cultural and religious center of the ethnic Finns in Petersburg. In 1937 the church was closed and converted into a hostel. In 1990, the church was returned to the Finnish religious community. At the end of the 20th century it was decided to carry out a large-scale restoration work in the temple. The Church has been now restored, including its historical interior.
Traditional Lutheran Faith
The Evangelical - Lutheran Church of Ingria adheres to traditional Lutheran faith, which is based on the immutable truth of the Holy Scriptures, and emphasizes the biblical and apostolic approach to understanding of pastoral ministry, administration of the sacraments and the Church hierarchy.
Church of Ingria is a member of the Lutheran World Federation, the International Lutheran Council and the Conference of European Churches. Church maintains fraternal relations with the Russian Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church, and actively cooperates with all Christian churches belonging to the Western and Eastern traditions.
Preserving the historical tradition of serving the Lord, as well as being a part of the Christian family, the Church of Ingria is open to the development of friendly interfaith relations for the sake of the glory of Christ and the building up of His One, Holy and Apostolic Church.