In his design of the Lutheran Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, architect A. P. Bryullov added the features of the Romanesque style to its appearance, thus deviating from the Petersburg traditional architectural forms of the time.
The building has a two-turret facade, in its centre there is an open arcade loggia, with an austere arch portal under it.
An angel at the top
The spirit of Romanesque architecture imbued the design of the huge church hall, too. Its high vaults rested on granite pillars and columns and amazed with its excellent paintings.
The artistic canvas ’Crucifixion’ by the brush of K. P. Bryullov was noted for its special expressiveness.
Inside the Lutheran Church of St. Peter and St. Paul
The history of the church goes back to the time of the immediate successors of Peter the Great, when a plot for the construction of a church for local Lutherans was set aside in Nevsky Prospect and the construction began. This small church existed for a little bit more than three decades and in 1760 the architect Bushing enlarged it and decorated and constructed a first-rate building for a school next to it.
This educational institution — Peterschool — was well known in the capital. Many representatives of the Petersburg intelligentsia finished this school and either continued their studies in the St. Petersburg or Western European universities, or began to work in various government and private institutions
In late 1950ies the church was transformed into a swimming-pool, that bringing about basic interior replanning and reconstruction, the paintings succumbed.