Roman Catholic Church of St. Stanislaus

St Stanislaus church was built at the initiative of Stanisław Bohusz Siestrzeńcewicz, first bishop of the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Mohilev and the first chairman of the Roman Catholic Theological College of Russia. He donated not only money for the construction of the temple but also the plot of land with his own house and garden. Stanisław Bohusz Siestrzeńcewicz was not only an outstanding church leader, but also a talented scientist. He studied agronomy, medicine, wrote a book on the history of the Crimea, was elected an honorary member of the Academy of Sciences, and was a gifted and tireless educator. He donated his house to create Russia's first grammar school, where he taught a variety of subjects. For his outstanding contributions the archbishop has received many awards, including the highest order of Russia - St. Andrew and the Order of St. Stanislaus and St. Anne. Stanisław Bohusz died 96 years old and was buried in the church, which he founded in St. Petersburg - the Church of St. Stanislaus.

Atchitecture by David Visconti

The church was built in 1823-1825 to the design of David Ivanovich Visconti, a representative of a glorious artistic dynasty in St. Petersburg: there were architects, sculptors and painters in his family. David Visconti was an outstanding master of classicism. The building of the Church of St. Stanislaus is a vivid example of this style. Yellow and white in décor and square in plan, the church is surmounted by a low dome on a remote drum. Across the facade - the same two-column portico, the entablature separates the attic part.

1998 - Second Birth of the Church

The pediment is located above the entrance to the temple - a bas-relief "seeing eye" above the portal of entry carries the inscription: "Те ieum laudamus. 1998." The year 1998 marks the second birth if the church. It was closed in the late 1930s and for 60 years it belonged to a fur factory. In 1996, the church was returned to the Catholic community, and two years later it was consecrated.

A Concert at St. Stanislaus, 2013:

Saint Petersburg (Russian: Санкт-Петербург) is the second largest city in Russia. It is located on the Neva River at the head of the Gulf of Finland on the Baltic Sea. St Petersburg is often described as the most westernized city of Russia, as well as its cultural capital.It is the northernmost city in the world with a population of over one million.

Population: 5 197 114 (2015)
Founded : 1703
Time zone : UTC+4
Federal District : Northwest
Area code : (00 7) 812
Postal code : 190000-199406
Former name : Petrograd (1914-1924)
Former name : Leningrad (1924-1991)