Saint Isidore Holy Church
The Saint Isidore Holy Church (Svyato-Isidorovskaya tserkov, Свято-Исидоровская церковь) in Saint Petersburg is an Estonian Orthodox church built in the early XX century. The main aisle of the church was consecrated in honor of the Holy Martyr Isidore of Yuriev, while the side aisle - in honor of St. Seraphim of Sarov and the holy Apostles Peter and Paul. This small size five-domed church fits into the architectural ensemble of the surrounding buildings. A gilded iconostasis and baroque murals, and a large stained glass altarpiece depicting the Saviour in glory, and a rich belfry, with the largest bell weighing 300 kg.
Estonian Orthodox Brothehood
Church of the Martyr Isidore Yuriev was formerly the parish church of the Estonian Orthodox Brotherhood. The Brotherhood was founded in the late XIX century. Most of the members came from Estonia, who arrived in the capital of the Russian Empire in search of work, but also included other nationalities. The founder of the brotherhood was Pavel Petrovich Kulbush. He rasied funds for the construction of the temple, as the congregation did not have a church. Donations came from all over the world: from the temples of Narva, Gatchina, Luga. Among the first to respond to the call and donate money was John of Kronstadt, who took an active part in the construction of the church.
Nicholas II Personally Purchased Land for the Church
Emperor Nicholas II personally purchased the land from the City Council, which was granted for the construction of the church.
Consecrated by John of Kronstadt
When laying the temple in 1903, this place was consecrated by John of Kronstadt. Before the construction began, John of Kronstadt laid the first stone of the future temple. The church and the adjoining fraternity house were designed a native of Estonia, professor at the Academy of Arts, a member of the brotherhood, the architect Alexander Polishchuk Artemyevitch.
Isidore Yuriev Chapel and St Nicholas Church
The temple has two stories: the main chapel, located on the second floor, was consecrated in 1907 in the name of Isidore Yuriev, and the lower - Nicholas - in 1908. In the upper church services were held in the Estonian language, and in the lower in Russian.
Holy Martyr Isidore of Yuriev
Isidore of Yuriev was an orthodox priest of St Nicholas Church in the town of Yuriev (now Estonia city of Tartu). He was killed for his refusal to convert to Catholicism. In 1472, he was sent to prison along with his 72 parishioners on the orders of the local catholic bishop. All of them were told to renounce the Orthodox faith. When they refused, they were all drowned in a river.