This monument is dedicated to the crew of the torpedo-boat Steregushschy (sculptor K. Izenberg, 1911).
During the Russo-Japanese war, in 1904, this ship was badly damaged in an unequal combat. The wounded sailors who remained alive decided to scuttle the ship, preferring death to captivity. The monument depicts the ship's armor-plating torn by shells, two sailors opening the kingston valve and the rush of the water into the hold.
In 1954, on the anniversary of the heroic act performed by the sailors, a bronze memorial plaque was mounted on the back of the monument.
This plaque bears a bas-relief depicting the torpedo boat sinking, surrounded by enemy vessels, and a list of the crew.