The monument to the Russian inventor of radio, Alexander Popov, was unveiled in March of 1959.
The first public demonstration of the world's first radio receiver took place on May 7, 1895. On March 24, Popov transmitted the first message by radio from St. Petersburg University over the distance of 250 meters. It consisted of just two words: Heinrich Hertz (the great German physicist).
Within a year, radio signals were being transmitted over a distance of 5 kilometers, and later up to 150 kilometers.
Sculptor Vladimir Bogolyubov depicted the scientist holding a telegraph tape, reporting on the world's first experiments in transmitting signals over long distances. The first radio receiver was cast in bronze for the future generations to see.