Alexander Suvorov Monument
The Alexander Suvorov monument is dedicated to the great Russian military leader of the 18th century, Alexander Suvorov (sculptor Mikhail Kozlovsky), who never lost a single battle.
In the statue, one of the masterpieces of the Russian monumental sculpture, the sculptor set himself the task of portraying to the greatest possible extent the military genius of Suvorov, his courage and unbending will rather than creating a portrait likeness. On the round pedestal stands a young warrior in a helmet and armor with a drawn sword. With his shield, bearing Russia coats of arms, the warrior is protecting the sacrifical altar, on which the Neapolitan and Sardinian crowns and the Pope tiara lie. The allegory symbolises the victory of the Russian arms gained under Suvorov, defending agains the French forces the countries that are represented by the emblems on the sacrifical altar. The symbols of human goodness - faith, hope and charity - adorn the three sides of the sacrificial altar.
The granite pedestal of the monument (architect Andrei Voronikhin) is embellished with bronze bas-reliefs, allegorical depictions of Glory and Peace, crossed laurel branches and palm fronds above the inscription "Князь Италийский, граф Рымникский. 1801" ( "Prince of Italy, Count Suvorov-Rymniksky, 1801".)
Alexander Souvoroff, the most brilliant warrior ever recorded in the Russian history, is too well known throughout the world, that we should enumerate, in this short notice, a long catalogue of his victories and achievements. No single warrior, at any period, ever exercised such a magical spell over the Russian soldier. He died at St. Petersburg, in the year 1800. The battle of Rymnik, in the year 1789, brought him a double title, of Russian Count and Count of the Holy Roman Empire, besides the title bestowed on him by Catherine, of Count of Rymnik.
A handbook of the principal families in Russia, Petr Vladimirovich Dolgorukov, 1858
The monument was first put up in the Fields of Mars, on the Moika Embankment. It was moved to the current location during the reign of Alexander I.