Palace of Grand Duke Vladimir
In 1867 the architect Alexander Rezanov began to build a palace for Grand Duke Vladimir, the son of Alexander II. It is a fine specimen of the so-called eclectic style. The striking façade -with the portal decorated with gryphons - reminds one of a Florentine Italian Renaissance palazzo for its austere appearance. The large heavy tambour in front of the main door takes up the whole width of the pavement.
The interiors illustrate a variety of artistic styles; Gothic in the small dining room, Rococo in the dance hall, Renaissance in the grand drawing room, Russian in the banqueting hall, Louis Quinze in the other drawing room and Moorish style in the bodouir. Today the former palace houses the Petersburg House of Scientists.
The style of Professor Ryazonov (1817-1887) was a compromise between the purely Russian and the western European. Recalled from making a special study of the Cathedral of Orvieto, in 1863, he was engaged in the general restoration of the Orthodox churches in Poland, following on the revolution. He also built a palace for the Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich, which was decorated and furnished in the national style.
The Russian Arts. Rosa Newmarch, 1917