Stone (Kamenny) Island Palace
The Stone (Kamenny) Island Palace s a former imperial palace on Stone (Kamenny) Island in St. Petersburg. It is a historical landmark building and a spectacular monument of classicist architecture.
Original Design by Yuri Felten
In the sixties of the XVIII century, Catherine the Great presented the whole of Stone Island to Grand Duke Paul, the heir to the throne. The original design of the palace is usually attributed to the architect Yuri Felten. The construction began in 1776, but had to be put on hold the following year due to the devastating flood of the city of Saint Petersburg.
Design Updated by Giacomo Quarenghi
When the work resumed, it was to the updated design by Giacomo Quarenghi. The U-shaped palace is a long building, with the southern façade facing the Malaya Nevka and the northern façade facing a broad front yard. The center of the façade is punctuated by a six-column portico of the Tuscan order. The southern part is decorated by an eight-column portico.
Interior Design by Vincenzo Brenna
In 1784, Paul asked architect Brenna to design the interior. An extensive regular park was created by the palace.