Alexander Garden (Aleksandrovsky Sad)
The Alexander Garden (Aleksandrovsky Sad, Александровский Сад) is a public park in St. Petersburg opened in 1842. The English-style garden was designed by Luigi Rusca and named after Emperor Alexander II who ordered some 52 species of trees to be planted there. It was formerly known as the Admiralty Boulevard, the Admiralty Gardens, and the Workers’ Garden. The green arc encircles the former crownwork (projecting bastion) of the Peter and Paul Fortress, and the geometric curves of the Kronverksky channel give it a special charm. Initially, a large part of the Alexander Park was occupied by woody vegetation. Old trees have survived here until now, but new buildings have been added over time.
The most important of them is the building of the Orthopedic Clinical Institute. It is decorated with the majolica "The Virgin and the Child", made in the Art Nouveau style to the design of the famous Russian painter Kuzma Petrov-Vodkin.
From Palace Square a long, well-wooded promenade, or garden, Alexandrovski Sad, stretches the whole length of the Admiralty, parallel to the Neva, as far as St. Isaacs Cathedral.
Through Finland to St. Petersburg, A. Scott
Also here is the metro station "Gorkovskaya". One of the main attractions of the garden is a so-called “mini-city” - a collection of bronze miniatures of Petersburg attractions. You will also see here a commemorative plaque in honor of the 300th anniversary of St. Petersburg journalism.