Victory Park and Square
In 1947 Victory Park was laid out to the north of Chesma Palace. Its avenues are adorned with numerous statues of heroes of the Second World War and defenders of the city.
Victory Square lies on the south side of the Chesme Palace, where Moscow Avenue divides into Pulkovskoye and Moscovskoe highways. It was called Middle Turnpike until 1962, because in the 18th century the road to Moscow began here with a turnpike. In May 1945 the architect Alexander Gegello erected a wooden triumphal arch on this stop to greet the regiments who defended Leningrad during the siege. In 1975 a grandiose memorial to the city’s heroic defenders in the war by the sculptor Mikhail Anikuhskin was unveiled on the site of the arch. A huge obelisk rises out of a concrete ring. At its base are the bronze figures of a soldier and a worker. A broad staircase leads up to the base of the pedestal. It is lined with sculptural group, such as soldiers about to repulse an enemy attack, an elderly mother seeing her son off to battle, and women taking their husbands’ places in factories. The lower story contains the Museum of the History of the Blockade.
The huge concrete pill-boxes which originally stood on the front line give one a good idea of the danger that threatened the city in 1941-1944. They have now been moved to the southwest and southeast sides of the memorial. These sinister concrete structures with their eye-like embrasures are much more expressive than the realistic sculptural groups.