First Russian Philharmonic
Pavlovsk has been called the home of the first Russian philharmonia. In 1837 the first Russian railway was built between St. Petersburg and Pavlovsk. A year later a railway station with a large concert hall was erected in Pavlovsk from a design by the architect Andrei Stakenschneider. The finest orchestras, musicians and singers from Russia and abroad performed here, including the famous Austrian composer and conductor Johann Strauss who spent several seasons here.
Pavlovsk is connected to St. Petersburg by railway via Tsarskoe Selo and has a train station with a restaurant and garden. Four times a week, there is an excellent orchestra heard from 7 to 11 pm. The Pavlovsk train station is very busy during the summer.
St Petersburg Guide, Jean Bastin, 1874
In 1970 Pavlovsk’s musical traditions as the first Russian philharmonia were revived. On the last Saturday of each month concerts of classical music by Russian and European composers are held in the Grecian Hall.