The Chinese Garden was laid out in 1865-1866 from a design by the architect Edward Hahn, when the Bathing Pools were being rebuilt. A small artificial hill was built and a channel for a stream with two hump-backed wooden bridges. The water in the stream comes from the Shell Fountain, behind which in the shrubs are the white marble statues of Cupid and Psyche, an early 19th century copy of the Greek original. By the blank wall of the kitchen is an 18th-century statue of Mercury and a fountain by the east entrance to the Bathing Pools. In a small circular basin from a pink marble vase made in 1805 and designed by Andrei Voronikhin for the Hermitage Cascade a vertical jet rises and interplays with a similar jet in the small lake into which the stream flows.