Peterhof - Oak Fountain
The Oak Fountain at Peterhof is a circular fountain lies between the Neptune and Mezheumny fountains to the south of them. Its name has long lost its original meaning and testifies only to the original ornament of the fountain.
Construction on it began in 1734. The following year an oak tree, three tritons and six dolphins made of lead from a model by Rastrelli were cast. The oak was soon dismantled, however, to be set up in the Lower Park more than fifty years later.
In the second half of the 18th century a carved and gilded Horn of Plenty was placed at the center of the bowl. It was repaired and replaced several times, before disappearing finally. Only the dolphins continued to send up high jets of water. In 1929 a marble figure of Cupid putting on a tragic mask was set up in the center of the fountain. It was made in 1809 by the Italian sculptor De Rossi.