Peterhof Triton Fountain
In the center of the Conservatory garden in a circular basin there is a gilded fountain group showing a huge Triton forcing apart the jaws of a sea monster. Four turtles are crawling away from the scene of the fight to the four corners of the world. A powerful stream of water is gushing from the monster’s jaws. It blends in with the jets of four sprinklers spurting from the raised turtle heads. In the sculptural ornament this fountain, built in 1726 from a design by Timofey Usov, has much in common with the the Samson fountain. Like the latter, it has allegorical significance and is dedicated to the victory over the Swedish fleet in July 1714 by the Hango Peninsular. The sculptural group was cast in lead from a model by Rastrelli. The fountain was destroyed by the German troops during the Second World War and the sculpture demounted and shipped to Germany. It has never been found.
In 1956 the sculptor Alexey Gurzhy reconstructed the original plastic ornament of the fountain from a drawing in an 18th century album.