Peterhof Terrace Fountains
On the terraces to the east and west of the Great Cascade are small white marble four-tiered cascades cut into the slope. On their upper walls the alternating mascarons of a Triton and nymphs glitter with gold. The water flowing from them comes from the fountains higher up on the ledge. Each cascade has a fountain with a circular marble bowl and a relatively low vertical jet.
The building of these fountains began in late 1799 and was completed by the middle of 1800. The cascades were faced with marble in 1852-1853. In all the job took about 740 tons of Carrara marble.