In the eastern part of the park, not far from the Hermitage, yet another monument commemorating a feat of arms, has been preserved. This is the Morea or Small Rostral Column, erected in 1771 to commemorate the victory of the Russian fleet at the peninsula of Morea in Greece.
Simple in its composition, the monument is a small seven-meter high column of greyish blue white veined Russian marble on a pedestal of the same stone. The column is topped by a small rostral obelisk of Italian pink marble. The monument bears an inscription glorifying the feat of the Russian seamen. “The Russian forces numbered six hundred men,” it reads, “who did not ask how numerous the enemy was, but where he was; six thousand Turks were taken prisoner.” The plaque also records that the impregnable fortress of Navarino surrendered to Brigadier Hannibal, the great grandfather of the poet, Alexander Pushkin.
The monuments commemorating feats of arms in Tsarskoye Selo are an inseparable part of the park and form an ensemble of exceptional artistic value. No wonder that one of Pushkin’s contemporaries called Tsarskoye Selo “the Pantheon of Russian Glory”.