The Second St Isaac's Cathedral
On August 6, 1717, on the bank of the Neva where the Bronze Horseman, a monument to Peter the Great, now stands, the foundations were laid for a second church of St Isaac, which was designed by Johann Mattarnovi.
St Isaacs designed by Johann Mattarnovi
Its architecture was reminiscent of SS Peter and Paul Cathedral in St Petersburg, the work of Domenico Trezzini. The identical principle of design, similar bell-towers with clocks on them, and carved gilt iconostases inside, both designed by Ivan Zarudny, made the affinity between the two structures even more striking. The site selected for the church proved unsuitable – the ground on the fortified Neva banks began to shift and cracks developed in the biulding’s walls and vaults. The work of destruction was completed by a fire in 1735. In an attempt to restore the cathedral, the architects built the dome without a spire and on a much smaller scale, so as to reduce the pressure on the walls and vaults; the bell-tower was not rebuilt at all, and as a result the edifice gave the impression of being unfinished. In 1763 it was demolished.