Admiralty Embankment in St. Petersburg (in spite of its modest size - only 414 meters) is loved by tourists and locals alike. It stretches from the intersection of Palace Embankment and the Palace Bridge, and to the Senate Square. There are only eight buildings on this street.
The famous Admiralty building was built here in 1704, and the street took its name after Admiralty. The first prerequisite to the appearance of the waterfront appeared much later: only in 1844, after all the shipbuilding works were relocated - Galernaya Harbour. Prior to this, no special value street is not represented. On the contrary, because of the channel for launching ships, ditches and embankments, it spoils the whole view of the city center.
In 1832, at the Palace pier installed lion sculptures and decorative vases of porphyry, made in Sweden. Today, local tour guides and historians believe that this is the most popular Lions of St. Petersburg. In 1873, construction began on the Admiralty Embankment, and a year later it was officially opened. It is interesting that in the arrangement of the streets has been allocated 365 thousand rubles. At first it was assumed that all of the buildings on the waterfront will be the same, but the plots of land not sold out, because wealthy people do not want to live in similar houses, and citizens easier had the opportunity to build a house in the center of St. Petersburg. That is why in 1878 on the Admiralty Embankment was allowed to build any buildings, but their height should not exceed 23.5 m. And in the end became very famous street: here lived influential officials, bankers, artists and writers.
In 1910, the Admiralty Embankment was decorated with a sculpture of "King of the carpenter." Eight years later it was dismantled. Only in 1996, the sculpture was installed again: the Dutch government gave her a replica of St. Petersburg.