English Avenue (Английский проспект) runs from the Fontanka to the Moika, crossing the western part of Kolomna from north to south. On August 20, 1739 this street was officially assigned the name of Assumption Street as a church dedicated to the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin was planned to be built at the intersection of this street with what is currently Sadovaya Street. That church was never built; however, many years later another church was built there - Pokrovskaya Church, demolished in 1930 by the Soviet Regime.
In reality, the name Assumption Street never took except in the official papers. Instead, it became popularly known as English Street, owing to the large number of British subjects living in the vicinity.
In October 1918 English Avenue was renamed to McLean Street. John McLean (1879-1923) was one of the leaders of the left wing of the British Socialist Party; in 1917 McLean’s Russian comrades elected him an honorary deputy chairman of the executive committee of the Petrograd Soviet. In 1920, the Left Socialists formed the core of the newly formed Communist Party of Great Britain, but McLean did not participate because of disagreement with the radical communist ideas. Contrary to the rules of the English language in Russian language the accent was placed on the first syllable, making the Scottish name MacLean sound like a native Russian name - Maklina.
On September 8, 1994 the historical name of the avenue was reinstated in connection with a visit to St. Petersburg by Queen Elizabeth II.