Academician Likhachov Square
The area on the Petrograd side of the Exchange (Birzhevoy) bridge was formed after the construction of the bridge in 1894, and was named Likhachov Square on 17 May 2006, on the centenary of the birth of the eminent philologist and public figure, Academician Dmitry Sergeyevich Likhachov (1906-1999).
Dmitry Sergeyevich Likhachov was a native of St. Petersburg, and his life was connected with the city on the Neva. In 1928 he graduated from Leningrad State University, but was soon arrested for participating in the student circle Space Academy of Sciences. He was sentenced to five years for counterrevolutionary activities and exiled to Solovki, and then transferred to the construction of the White Sea-Baltic Canal.
On August 8, 1932 he was released early and without restrictions, returned to Leningrad and began his scientific work.
Likhachov created five hundred scientific and about six nonfiction works on the history of Russian literature and Russian culture. He is recognized as the preeminent expert and researcher of ancient Russian culture. His research allowed not only to restore the original text of the " The Tale of Igor's Campaign " distorted by copyists, but dismiss any hypothesis that this outstanding monument of Old Russian literature was a late forgery. A year before his death, Likhachov became the very first recipient of the reinstated Order of St. Andrew. The Likhachov Philanthropic Fund was set up by his daughter and George Soros in 2001.