The Moscow Square sprawls slightly north of the Chesme Palace ensemble. Its eastern side is lined up by one of the largest edifices in Saint Peterburg, the House of Soviets, an office block approximately 50 m high and 220 m long (architect Noi Trotsky et el, 1936-1941). This building is decorated with sculpture, huge columns and a portal of polished granite. The central part of the façade is emphasized by two tower-like projections. It is embellished with the emblem of the Russian Federation (11 by 11 m in size, sculptor Igor Krestovsky) and a frieze 103 m long (sculptor Nikolai Tomsky).
A focal point in the square is the statue of Lenin, which was unveiled in April 1970 to commemorate the birth centenary of the communist leader (sculptor Mikhail Anikushkin, architect Valentin Kamensky). The 16 meter high monument portrays Lenin making one of his speeches. In the words of the sculptor, he wished to express the “concentration of will and energy, the embodiment of humaneness, unwavering conviction and inexhaustible striving for a great goal”. On the side of the pedestal the laconic inscription reads: “To Lenin on his centenary. April 1970”.