Suvorov Square in St Petersburg is one of the main squares in the historic center of the city and part of an architectural ensemble that includes the Troitsky Bridge, Champs de Mars, the Marble Palace and the monument to Alexander Suvorov. In the central part of the square stands a monument to the commander Alexander Suvorov by the sculptor Mikhail Kozlovsky. The monument was cast in bronze in the years 1799-1801 and originally located on Champs de Mars, by the river Moika. Later, however, as part of a redesign of the Suvorov Square, it was moved and installed at its center.
The monument to Suwarrow, Russia’s most distinguished general, is on the Champ de Mars, opposite the Troitszka bridge—a most appropriate situation ; but the work itself is generally regarded by critics as unworthy of the great marshal whose deeds it is intended to commemorate. It is a bronze statue, on foot, in Roman costume, wielding a sword in the right hand, and holding a shield in the left, in defence, over the crowns of the pope, Naples, and Sardinia, which lie at his feet. This refers especially to the campaign of Italy, in 1799.
Robert Sears, An Illustrated Description of Russia, 1852
A Wonderful Optical Illusion
Suvorov Square offers a wonderful optical illusion. It seems to be circular despite the fact that it clearly delineated by straight lines on all sides, which create the right rectangle. The reason for this optical illusion is the round monument to Suvorov in the center of the square.